Tuesday, March 25, 2014

006- REI Flashback

Available from: No longer on REI's site. Maybe eBay?

Bottom line: Excellent small outdoor pack, especially when you want to rock the retro hiker vibe.

High points: Terrific, retro styling.  High quality for the prices.  Not many fussy points.  Simple, easy to use in almost every respect.

Caveats: Price (~$45 new- a touch steep for such a simple pack.  No waist strap.  Shoulder straps loosen with the slightest tug.  

Wishlist: A slightly larger version.  A Flashback 22 or 25 would fall into the same range as Tom Bihn's new Guides Pack, but could come in at 40% or less of the cost.

Why I bought this bag: I've had a REI Flash 18 UL for about 5 or 6 years and it has been my go to adventure bag that whole time.  The Flashback seemed like a great update to my older bag. 

Regrets: Doubting my old Flash 18 UL.  While I love the styling of the Flashback, the original flash still fits my actual outdoor needs slightly better, being a touch lighter and slightly more comfortable.  















No comments:

Post a Comment